KOTA KINABALU: More security assets are now being deployed to Sabah to increase safety measures following several kidnap cases in the east coast.
These assets will cover land, sea, and air with many more expected to arrive in the state soon.
Home Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi said this included the deployment of security personnel to high risk areas.
He said this after a meeting with Chief Minister Datuk Seri Musa Aman at his officicial Sri Gaya residence, here.
Also present were Minister in the Prime Minister Department Datuk Seri Shahidan Kassim, National Security Council Secretary Datuk Mohd Tajuddin Abdul Wahab, Eastern Sabah Security Command director general Datuk Mohammad Mentek, Sabah police commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib, and Sabah Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Datuk Masidi Manjun.
On Tuesday at 2.45am, five gunmen abducted Chinese national Yang Zai Lin, 34, from a fish farm on Pulau Baik off Silam, Lahad Datu and escaped to the southern Philippines.
The abduction came 28 hours later after four gunmen robbed fishermen at Tanjung Labian waters off Lahad Datu.
Police did not rule out the posibility the two incidents were connected.
Last month, seven gunmen kidnapped a Chinese tourist and a Filipino worker from Singamata Adventures and Reef Resort near Semporna.
New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my